Arabic language learning links
Here are some links to websites with free information on Arabic, and also media sources with free content that can help you practice Arabic. Please feel free to email me with other useful links (as long as they are free and contain a decent amount of content, not just one page with a few words/phrases):
GeneralWordReference Arabic Resources page - includes many useful links
Free FSI courses - for standard Arabic, Levantine and Saudi dialects, and comparative studies of different dialects
NMELRC Arabic Learner's Handbook (PDF, 141 KB) - general information and tips on the learning process
V-Arabic - Virtual Arabic blog with digitized language realia resources for Arabic learners & teachers
Arabic Free Downloads - PDF files with information on various aspects of the Arabic language
Arabic Corpus - a searchable Arabic corpus; great for seeing the contexts in which words are commonly used
Yamli - type and do searches in transliterated Arabic, and the site will "translate" back into Arabic script
MEMRI TV - news video clips with English translations
The Arabic Student blog - contains Arabic videos with transcripts and vocabulary
Learn Arabic Language website - a great resource with lots of Arabic textbooks and learning materials for download
GLOSS learning materials - do a search for Arabic, and you'll find lots of lessons based on authentic materials, on different topics, with several activities per lesson.
Weekly training events - again, search for Arabic, and you'll find more lessons with authentic media and activities, on a variety of topics.
CultureTalk - features videos by native Arabic speakers from the Levant, Egypt, North Africa, Western Sahara, and Yemen. Speakers discuss a variety of cultural topics, mostly in Arabic, and transcripts and translations are included.
Mo3jam - a user-generated dictionary of colloquial Arabic slang, similar to Urban Dictionary but much more limited.
Arabic Online from Western Michigan University - a set of instructional units with authentic texts and audio/video excerpts with self-graded comprehension questions. There are three units: Advanced Standard Arabic I, Advanced Standard Arabic II, and Advanced Egyptian Arabic I
Arabic Variant Identification Aid - an informative website focusing on the urban Arabic dialects spoken in the United Arab Emirates, Jidda (Hijaz, Saudi Arabia), Jerusalem (Palestinian Arabic), Baghdad (Iraq), Kuwait, Qatar and Sanca (Yemen)
Foreigncy - Arabic news articles with vocabulary
The Arabic alphabetOnline Arabic reading course - teaches the alphabet
Learning the Arabic script, from Stanford
Arabic alphabet tutorial
Standard ArabicBabel online beginner Arabic course
Madinah online course focusing on Arabic grammar
ArabicOnline.eu - has an online beginner course in Arabic
Arabic grammar reference
Arabic for Beginners - another online course focusing on functional grammar
A Hundred and One Grammar Rules by Mohammed Jiyad - a short reference grammar for beginning and intermediate learners
Arabic grammar resources - a categorized database of grammar information
Al-Kitaab reading enhancement suite - an interactive interface for reading texts from the Al-Kitaab series, with glossary, voweling, and audio.
Read Arabic! - reading practice materials in standard Arabic, on novice and intermediate levels. The texts are accompanied by additional materials such as audio, notes, translation, and a glossary.
Egyptian ArabicDLI course in Egyptian Arabic - includes both PDF lessons and audio.
BYU Arabic course materials - Online vocabulary, exercises, and videos for both Egyptian and standard Arabic (beginner level).
CultureTalk Egypt - A great collection of videos, including transcripts and translations, on a variety of cultural topics.
An Arabist's Guide to Egyptian Colloquial by Daniel Pipes (PDF, 8 MB) - Written for Arabic students with a background in standard Arabic, this is a good introduction to the Egyptian dialect.
Egyptian Arabic Dialect Course - a series of 15 lessons using songs to teach vocabulary and grammar.
Lisaan Masry - has a dictionary and a grammar introduction.
TalkEgypt - a collection of Arabic movies, TV, and music videos that have subtitles.
An Introduction to Egyptian Arabic by Ernest T. Abdel-Massih
A Comprehensive Study of Egyptian Arabic, Vol. 1: Conversations, Cultural Texts, and Sociolinguistic Notes by Ernest T. Abdel-Massih
A Comprehensive Study of Egyptian Arabic, Vol. 2: Proverbs and Metaphoric Expressions by Ernest T. Abdel-Massih
A Comprehensive Study of Egyptian Arabic, Vol. 3: A Reference Grammar of Egyptian Arabic by Ernest T. Abdel-Massih
A Comprehensive Study of Egyptian Arabic, Vol. 4: Arabic-English and English-Arabic Lexicon by Ernest T. Abdel-Massih
Egyptian Arabic Primer by W.A. Betts, available to browse or as a free PDF download from Google Books. Note that it was published in 1902, so some of the content (vocabulary like "wabuur/babuur" for train; "Hakiim" for doctor; "mara" for woman; and so on) is outdated, but it's interesting as a historical document.
An Arabic-English Vocabulary of the Colloquial Arabic of Egypt by Socrates Spiro, from Google Books. This book is old too (pub. 1895), but is nonetheless also interesting as a historical document.
Levantine ArabicCultureTalk Arab Levant - video clips of interviews and discussions with Lebanese, Palestinians, Syrians, and Jordanians. Most of the clips are in colloquial Arabic, some are in English. Translations are given for all non-English video clips.
Colloquial Levantine audio and video collection - audio, video, and sample syllabi for learning everyday Arabic as spoken by Jordanians, Lebanese, Palestinians, and Syrians.
Syrian ArabicSyrian Arabic textbook - used to be free; now costs $45 for the PDF and mp3s
Arabic idioms (PDF, 590 KB) - a nice collection of over a thousand idioms used in Syrian Arabic
Jordanian ArabicLangMedia: Arabic in Jordan - lots of videos (with transcripts and translations) arranged by theme
Moroccan ArabicSpeak Moroccan - some basic grammar and a bunch of vocabulary
Revised Peace Corps Moroccan Arabic book, available for download as a PDF file
Moroccan Arabic Vocab - an archive of "word of the day" type posts
Tunisian ArabicPeace Corps Tunisian Arabic book (PDF, 10.9 MB)
Tunisian Arabic course (PDF, 3.55 MB)
Mauritanian ArabicMauritanian Arabic: Culture and Communication (PDF, 5.53 MB)
Mauritanian Arabic: Grammar (PDF, 1.4 MB)
Mauritanian Arabic: Literacy (PDF, 1.56 MB)
Iraqi ArabicIraqi Tutor - a really nice collection of eight introductory lessons on the Iraqi dialect, featuring short video clips from a popular Iraqi TV show and audio clips of dialogue and vocabulary.
Gulf ArabicGulf Arabic.com (free registration required)
Online dictionariesAl Maany - Arabic-English, English-Arabic
Arabic Almanac - Arabic-English; enables you to search the Hans Wehr dictionary
Aratools - Arabic-English
WordReference - English-Arabic
Ectaco - English-Arabic
Arabic media onlineAswaat Arabiyya - an excellent archive of videos, sorted by level of difficulty. You can even slow down the video speed.
Arabic phone conversations - an excellent archive of phone conversations in Egyptian, Levantine, and Iraqi Arabic. You can sort by dialect, topic, and difficulty level.
Arabic Language and Iraqi Dialect Through Dialogue - a nice collection of dialogues, 48 in standard Arabic (beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels), and 55 in Iraqi Arabic.
Arabic Webcasts - the news in simplified Arabic, including accompanying exercises. The site hasn't been updated in a long time, but there's still a good archive of material.
BBC Arabic - includes streaming video and radio news
Television news- Al Jazeera (website | online stream | YouTube channel)
- Al Arabiya (website | online stream - not available in the US)
- France24 - Click on the banner reading حاليا على فرانس 24: النشرة to watch their live stream.
- wwiTV - streaming TV channels from many different countries.
Newspapers- Sahafa Online
|- Al Ahram||- An Nahar|
|- Al Akhbar|
|- Al Gomhuria||Syria|
|- Al Masry Al Youm||- Tishreen|
|- Al Mesryoon|
|- Al Shorouk||Iraq|
|- Al Wafd||- Al Sabah|
|- Nahdet Misr||- Az Zaman|
|- Al Rai||- Al Watan|
|- Ad Dustour|
|United Arab Emirates|
|Palestine||- Al Bayan|
|- Al Quds||- Al Ittihad|
|- Dar Al Khaleej|
Music- The Arabic Music.com
- Mazakony forum
- Eftekes forum (free registration required)
- Tarab.com - streaming Arabic music (RealPlayer required)
- La7oon lyrics (registration required) - Arabic lyrics site
- Arabic Song Lyrics & Translation - translations and lyrics to more than 600 Arabic songs.
- Arabic Lyrics Translation forum - features a large archive of song translations, and you can request (or post your own) translations of Arabic songs.
- Shira.net Song Translations - a bellydance website featuring lyrics in both transliterated and translated form.
- OrientalDancer.net Song Lyrics - more translated/transliterated lyrics from another bellydance site.
- Asra Bellydance song translations
Movies- Al Arab - a great archive of streaming movies and TV shows
- Arab Cima - another archive of streaming movies and TV shows, including dubbed American movies. In general, fantasy and historical dramas are dubbed into standard Arabic, and contemporary-set comedies and dramas are dubbed into either Levantine or Egyptian Arabic. There are also some dubbed TV shows.
- Arabic movies on Google Video (sometimes this site goes down, but the Google cache and videos themselves will still work)
- Al Mumiyaa' (The Mummy/The Night of Counting the Years) - a famous 1969 film with dialogue entirely in fuSHa. Subtitled version here.
- YouTube user omar1980TV - many full movies, mostly old ones, starring such actors as Soad Hosni, Ismail Yassin, Farid al Atrache, Fatin Hamama, Abdel Halim Hafez, and others.
- YouTube user aliallawee2000 - many full movies, plays, and musalsalaat, including many of Adel Imam's most famous works.
- YouTube user Hind0Rostom - a large collection of full movies starring Hind Rostom.
- YouTube user tafatefo010 - lots of videos from various talk shows and some movies.
- Rotana Cinema - Arabic movies online
Television & video- MBC - streaming video of full episodes of many shows. You can even sort by dialect (scroll down to the إختر عن طريق menu on the right, then choose اللغة واللهجة).
- HD44 - a great collection of streaming Arabic TV channels
- Sonara - Scroll down to choose from TV series, movies, and TV programs
- Ikbis - originally designed as an Arabic version of YouTube; you can now browse their channels to watch cooking shows, animation, and other videos.
- MTV Lebanon
- Shankaboot - a Lebanese web series
Radio, podcasts, & other audio- Archive of episodes from ساعة لقلبك - a famous Egyptian comedy radio show from the '50s and '60s.
- France24 - Monte Carlo Doualiya - Click on the banner reading استمع إلى مونت كارلو الدولية to listen to their radio stream.
- BBC Xtra podcast - the BBC's flagship Arabic podcast, covering social and human interest issues. Updated daily with approximately half hour long podcasts.
- Al-Kitaab Podcasts
- ArabicPod - over 100 beginner-level Arabic podcasts available for free (with registration); however, for access to higher-level podcasts, a subscription is required.
Books- Arabic e-books in PDF format (password for .rar files is tipsclub)
- Adab (Arabic poetry)
- Rashf - Arabic e-book database (free registration required for download)
- 4shared - If you're looking for a book (or, for that matter, a song), do a search in Arabic on this site.