This site features resources to help you learn both standard Arabic and the Egyptian dialect.
- The vocabulary lists include standard Arabic, the Egyptian (Cairene) dialect, and transliterations. You'll also find pages devoted to colloquial idiomatic expressions, proverbs, and sayings.
- The grammar lessons provide information on various topics such as pronouns, verb conjugations and tenses, and more, with examples to show usage. Most of the grammar information focuses on Egyptian Arabic, but some includes equivalent info for standard Arabic.
- The FAQ page provides general information on the Arabic language.
- The about page contains information about the transliteration scheme I use and other notes about this site.
- The links go to free websites with useful resources for Arabic language learning.
Looking for something in particular? Use the Google search box to search this website. Tip: if you're searching for a vocabulary word and can't find the word you're looking for, use the infinitive; ex. "to cooperate" instead of "cooperation."
4/6/2012 - I added some vocabulary words such as "society," "culture," etc. to the end of the mankind/kinship vocabulary list.
3/28/2012 - I added a new page of colloquial Egyptian expressions and idioms, with at least one authentic example of usage for each.
3/24/2012 - On the verb conjugations page, I corrected errors in the conjugation of نسى, added an explanation of different types of defective verbs, and added conjugations of two additional defective verbs (جرى and رجا).
3/17/2012 - I updated and reformatted the section of the FAQ dealing with Arabic textbooks for self-learners.
3/10/2012 - I added a new question to the FAQ ("Are standard and colloquial Arabic like completely different languages?") and added a number of authentic examples of usage to the first page of colloquial idioms. I'm working on adding more.